By Jacobus Dixon
Although All-Star Publications wasn’t in a complete rivalry with National Allied Publications or Detective Comics Inc. (due to the fact that they were all owned by Harry Donenfeld) they still didn’t want to sit out on the superhero craze that was transforming the publishing industry. They had some success with the Flash, Hawkman, and Johnny Thunder in Flash Comics. And naturally that taste of success led them to produce more superheroes. The spooky Spectre had promise, but he may have been a little too supernatural to attract more average readers. While most superheroes were defined by their phenomenal abilities, it was that human appearance that made them so appealing to readers. So you didn’t want to step too far away from that (at least not in the late 1930s/early 1940s) if you wanted your character to be successful. People do like supernatural stories though, so where do you strike the balance?
Read the rest of this entry »
By Michael Kim
Hello Guardians of The Comicalaxy! I can’t help it; it’s such a good movie. Isn’t it true? Aren’t we all guardians, protectors, defenders of our comic book collection? This is Michael from the back issues department (BID) at Midtown Comics for another entry on protecting your collection. Let’s talk about protecting your digital collection.
Step 1: Protect your password to your online account by changing it once every 30 to 180 days (recommended.)
Step 2: See Step 1.
Uhmmmmm…OK that’s it. Thank you so much for reading this entry on protecting your collection.
OK, maybe there’s more to it…..
Read the rest of this entry »
In honor of our brand new exclusive “I’m a Midtown Zombie” T-Shirt designed by Chris Bolson, we’re giving away 20 shirts to some lucky NYCC 2014 Attendees! To win a shirt, you must take place in our Midtown Comics “Zombie Crawl” on Saturday, October 11th at New York Comic Con booth #2036! Sound like a fun time? Learn how to enter below!
- We will take down the full names, email addresses, and T-Shirt sizes of the first 20 people to stop by Midtown Comics Times Square and show us proof of their Saturday NYCC Tickets (photo, actual ticket, etc.). You can enter anytime between 09/22-10/08, but remember, the earlier you arrive the better your chances of getting a spot at the 2014 Midtown Zombie Crawl!
- The first 20 to enter will then be emailed additional details, including where and when to meet for the Midtown Zombie Crawl at NYCC 2014. You will most likely meet at our Midtown Comics booth #2036 at 12PM on Saturday, 10/11!
- Those who are chosen will be asked to wear their new “I’m a Midtown Zombie” T-Shirts as well as zombie makeup (we’ll provide if needed) for the crawl.
- All 20 of us will then walk/crawl through the con in our T-Shirts and zombie makeup. We will likely be filmed by Midtown Comics and pose for photo opps as well.
- The best looking/acting zombies in the crawl will be awarded additional prizes!
- After the crawl, both the shirt and the memories are yours to keep!!
- Good luck, fellow Midtown Zombies!!
- Last but not least! If you don’t make it on our list of 20, fear not! You can still participate in the crawl by purchasing our zombie shirt at the con!
Midtown Comics is giving you one LAST CHANCE to win a pair of 4-Day Passes to New York Comic Con 2014! NYCC 2014 takes place October 9th-12th at the Javits Center in Manhattan. This contest will last from 09/22/14 – 10/06/14. Please do not enter the contest if you won’t be able to attend the convention this year. You can only enter the contest once, but can build up more entries by Liking our page on Facebook, Following us on Twitter, Following us on Pinterest, and Tweeting at us daily about the contest. You can also now gain more entries by referring your friends or signing up for our newsletter as well! Read on for more details below:
a Rafflecopter giveaway
- In order to enter the contest, you must Like our Midtown Comics page on Facebook.
- You must also be following us on Twitter.
- To earn additional entries and increase your chances of winning, you can tweet, “I entered to win a pair of 4-Day @NY_Comic_Con 2014 tickets from @MidtownComics! #NYCC bit.ly/1uyLVHh”. You can then submit the URL of your tweet to Rafflecopter. Please note, that you can only tweet this once per day.
- You can also refer friends to gain additional entries.
- Signing up for our newsletter will also gain you an entry.
- You can follow us on Pinterest as well!
Thank you for entering, and good luck! The winner will be notified around 3pm on 10/06/14